Thursday, August 25, 2011

How many can you name?



Even though some unfortunate people would make the mistake of calling me "African American" (I prefer "colored" (No, I don't. That was a joke, people. Shh.)) I have never been to Africa. I have tried to travel there on multiple occasions, but the trips have been cancelled due to reasons.


However, unlike many people, I do know that Africa is not one big country called "Africa" where the elephants roam and the lions call home. It's the birthplace of civilization, made up of various peoples and places and things. When I was in fourth grade, one of my classmates could name all of the capitals of the African continent. I could name all of the capitals of the Australian continent, so bully for me.

Today, I asked myself if I could name ten African countries. Then I asked if I could name ten more. I pushed myself to 21, and then I started writing this blog post.

How many can you name without assistance? Extra points for capital cities, half points for accidentally naming obscure countries on other continents, like Uzbekistan or Burma.

Here are the answers: Territories and regions of Africa.

Here is my list:

  1. South Africa
  2. Egypt
  3. Lesotho
  4. Kenya
  5. Ivory Coast
  6. Namibia
  7. Madagascar (movie!)
  8. Malawi
  9. Mozambique
  10. Niger
  11. Nigeria (two different countries!)
  12. Ghana
  13. Sudan
  14. South Sudan (newest country in the world!)
  15. Tanzania
  16. Tunisia
  17. Morocco
  18. Swaziland
  19. Chad (neither Lowe nor Allen nor Michael Murray)
  20. Libya
  21. Liberia



.

3 comments:

Angelica said...

I got 18.

I somehow managed to forget Nigeria, Libya and Madagascar. I remembered Namibia because that's where Angelina Jolie gave birth to Shiloh and Malawi because of Madonna (and I'm a bit ashamed of myself for that). I was going to include Tanzania but then I convinced myself that that was in Australia.

I've been a fan of your blog for a while now, btw. I'm not one to comment much anywhere, but tests are irresistible to my nerdy soul.

Bianca Reagan said...

Ooh, 18, good job!

Thank you for being a fan. :) Do you have a blog, Angelica?

molecularshyness said...

I got 30, but I spent some time thinking. And STILL missed Chad. And Morocco - which my mom visited. and couldn't think of the capitol of Liberia, which my dad is thinking of moving to...

I've actually learned most of those west African countries because he's thinking of moving there. And I was second-guessing myself about whether there was actually a Mauritania and a Mauritius.

My goal for the last few years has been to replace 'Africa' with specific country names whenever possible, to get myself out of the habit of referring to the continent as though it were homogeneous. Thanks for the challenge - I still need to work on it! =)