
I was reading the latest Leadership issue of The Hollywood Reporter when I happened upon this review of Happy Feet, the latest animated movie involving anthropomorphic, not-so-funny animals, thrust upon us by Disney and Pixar.
In the review, runs into a group of Latino penguins, the Adelie Amigos, who convince him that his dancing is actually cool."
What? A group of Latino penguins? Where do I begin?
Penguins come in species like Emperor, and King, and yes, Adelie. They don't come in Latino. They aren't descendants of Spanish conquistadors and the people they enslaved and/or slaughtered. They are penguins. They don't have the oppressor-imposed ethnic categories, like "Latino," that we humans have in America, Furthermore, Adelie penguins are from Antarctica. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a big influx of Latino culture from Chile and Argentina permeating that ice shelf.
As if that wasn't bad enough...who is voicing the leaders of these Adelie Amigos? Robin Williams.
Apparently I didn't get the memo that Robin Williams is now Latino. Last I heard, he still thought he was a sassy black man from the 70s. Or an African.
Monday, November 13, 2006
"Happy Feet"? Well, I'm not happy about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment