Friday, December 08, 2006

Some of my best friends are white people.


"I’m sick of white folks. It’s not just that we command an unseemly portion of the world’s resources, exploiting hundreds of millions of non-white folks and causing horrendous environmental damage in the process and then patting ourselves on the back for paying the merest lip service to righting our wrongs. It’s that when we make movies about the atrocities committed for our benefit and with our tacit consent, we insist upon setting up one of our own as the hero. It’s really pretty sick."


Check out Jeremy C. Fox's review of Blood Diamond at Pajiba. Even though I'm not personally "sick of white folks," I was totally digging his account of Hollywood movies that focus on the trivialities of white people at the expense of the more important stories of the brown people involved. That was why Bring It On: All or Nothing warranted such a favorable review from me: even though Hayden Panera Bread was the lead, the movie focused on the brown people as well. Unlike its predecessor, Bring It On, which followed Kirsten Dunst and her pale cheer-stealing team, instead of Gabrielle Union and her band of plucky brown performers.

And yes, I love me some Leo DiCaprio. I have since Growing Pains. However, I must echo the sentiment, "
What accent does Leonardo DiCaprio think he's doing?" Because I so cannot tell from those commercials. Blood Diamond takes place in South Africa, but from the way he was talking, I thought he was The Last King of Scotland.

4 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I thought Leo was on quite an acting roll until I heard that ridiculous accent in the trailer .. he sounds like a mongoloid!

Bianca Reagan said...

Harsh, reel...but true :) And, welcome!

Anonymous said...

That's an Afrikaner accent he's working, ala the old Charlize Theron. Based on my experience in college, it is the absolute hardest accent for Americans to duplicate so kudos to Leo.

Bianca Reagan said...

Thank you for your comment, "anonymous." And welcome, whoever you are.