Wednesday, April 04, 2007

If you're not a feminist...



I'd like to know why.

I don't think "you should kill yourself," even though Margaret Cho thinks you should. I'd rather you read this article, You might be a feminist if... from the April 5, 2006 edition of The Daily Vidette, which I'm guessing is the Illinois State University newspaper:

...anyone who opposes an injustice based on gender - whether they're male or female - is a feminist, or at least, they can be said to hold some feminist views.

Despite what backlash has claimed, feminism is nothing more than the powerful notion that women and men deserve to be treated equally...

...If you think it's unfair for a rape victim to be asked if she's a virgin at her rapist's trial, you might be a feminist....

...If you want to be paid the same wage as a man who does the same work as you...Who are you kidding? You're a feminist...

I thought about writing my own list for people who say, "I'm not a feminist, but..." But what? What is stopping you from calling yourself a feminist? Do you think people will buy into the myth that feminists burn their bras? Or the myth that feminists hate men? Or the myth that all feminists are lesbians?

All those statements are untrue for a variety of reasons. So now what's stopping you? Really, I want to know. Please leave comments!

I'm not usually into labels myself, because one word or phrase cannot fully describe a person, especially not a complicated individual like myself. However, feminist is a label that I have worn proudly since I was 14 years old. I would have called myself one sooner--as I have stood up for women's rights since I was in kindergarten--but I didn't know there was a word for that. At the time, I also had no idea that so many people all over the world didn't want women to have equal rights, or any rights at all. I couldn't fathom why anyone would want to keep me down just because I am female. Of course, now I know that's only one of the many reasons mean people will actively dislike me. I'm a nice girl, but I can't stop all the haters out there with my wit and charm.

Oh, and menfolk? You can be feminists, too. There is no vaginal requirement.

3 comments:

That Loud Feminist Chick said...

Yeah, people are so afraid of labels. They need to get over it.

I say it LOUD and PROUD: I am a FEMINIST!

LoudFem

Stephanie said...

THANK YOU!!!! Amen! I get so upset when celebrities like Gwen Stefani and Fergie say they aren't feminists. I'm like what's wrong w/ being a feminist????? I even wrote a blog about it too a while ago. http://tvaddict711.blogspot.com/2006/08/f-word.html
(yes I'm plugging my old blog :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a feminist because I like to behave in ways that I wouldn't tolerate if it were to come from men.