Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Princes, princesses, witches, serpents and Tom Sawyer = what?


Over the past year, I have tried to explain to my friends my love of the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. My favorite scene involves Dick Van Dyke dancing at a carnival with a stick of bamboo in hopes to win enough money to purchase the eponymous jalopy for his children and for his father who lives in an outhouse. And that's not the most bizarre part. The second half of the movie revolves around the pseudo-European country of Vulgaria, where the Baron Bomburst and his much younger wife have outlawed children, forcing their citizens to send their (strangely all male) offspring to live in the sewers.

Yeah.

When I try to explain this to my friends who haven't seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, or who don't remember the movie, they look at me like I'm nuts . . . which isn't a rare occurrence for me. It is in this spirit that I direct you to the 1bruce1 recap of Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition #1: The Class Trip. This was recently brought to my attention via The Dairi Burger in the allure of the super special:

This one was so craptastic it was like Hemingway. The kids go on a school trip to a fantasy amusement park and Liz hits her head (or falls off a motorcycle or something) and imagines a scenario where she is fighting witches, goblins, and wizards. Wtf.

It is that good. It's not even like the people at Team Pascal had run out of ideas after decades of Jessica and Elizabeth stories, and decided to throw together whatever they hadn't used yet. It's THE FIRST ONE. It was printed after #19 in the Sweet Valley Twins series. They still had plenty of ghost and real doll tales to get through.

I can't stop laughing at this psychedelic piecemeal book full of ripped-off references, including Enchanted Forest theme park, the above-mentioned Tom, Prince Valiant, a princess named Rainbow Bright and a talking mouse. Wow.

.