Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An appropriate tagline for Black in America


From Discuss: CNN’s Black in America, by Reecie at Honorable Media.

"Hi my name is Jerome. My father is in jail and my mother is on crack so I have to steal in order to put food on my table".

~

The following quote from A.D. Odom's post "Black in America" at State & Lake identified some of my feelings about the ancestry of the Rand family, who were featured in the first part of CNN's "report":


I am not going to go research the rapist of my great, great grandmother and upon finding him, be happy about it. No thank you.


The cousins' meeting for the first time was heartwarming. The story of their slave-owning, self-possessed, adulterous great-great-grandfather was not.

~

Also, white women: do you "know your role"? (Skip to 2:32.) I definitely don't; I'm way too uppity for that man. So you all can have Mr. "Jamie Coleman, Single Father, Age 34". He is so Bill Bellamy in The Brothers. But take note ladies: he is a Christian.

.

6 comments:

Renee said...

When I mentioned to a friend of mine how I felt about the rapist great grand father he told me that I was being harsh. The truth of the matter is I cannot imagine celebrating around a picture of the family rapist happily claiming him as my own. He is not someone that should ever be revered. Celebrate that you found a new cousin maybe but not how she became your cousin. It sometimes seems that some blacks are so desperate for even one drop of white blood despite what its addition means.

Stephanie said...

Apparently my role is to be a soccer mom as a white woman. Who knew? Now I need to find me some kids who like to play soccer. How much does being a soccer mom pay?

Bianca Reagan said...

renee, I don't think this family was necessarily happy about the white blood. I think the main woman doing the history was more excited about being able to trace her ancestors back so far, as well as being able to identify more relatives to add to their 300-member group. Jeez, that's a lot of people.

stephanie, I hope it pays more than Single Father.

molecularshyness said...

are you effing kidding me? wtf is this about knowing your place? Pin all the ills in black relationships on black women??? That video was bananas.

So the problem is, we don't have enough black soccer moms.

...Really. ?

That guy's phone should be ringing off the hook.

Renee said...

@ bianca
renee, I don't think this family was necessarily happy about the white blood. I think the main woman doing the history was more excited about being able to trace her ancestors back so far, as well as being able to identify more relatives to add to their 300-member group. Jeez, that's a lot of people.

I'm sorry if I found a white male relative from that time period I would recognize him for what he was a rapist new family or not that should have been acknowledged.

Bianca Reagan said...

renee, I agree. That should have been acknowledged.