Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I give other people very good advice



but I very seldom follow it myself. Case in point: How to Look Good Naked on Lifetime. I love this show. It features women who are clearly wonderful, beautiful people. But because they don't look how they think they are supposed to look, they feel bad about their bodies and their lives. During every episode, I yell at the TV screen, "You look great! Stop obsessing over your alleged imperfections. Go out and enjoy your life!" Then I go to the mirror, poke at my pudgy tummy, and pout.

It reminds of episode 4.11 of Designing Women, entitled "They Shoot Fat Women, Don't They?" Suzanne is feeling bad about herself because she has "put on more than a few pounds". Her sister Julia tells her, "there are a whole lot of people who love you for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with your looks." I tell myself that. Which undermines the point of How to Look Good Naked, but it makes me feel happy anyway. :)



.

No comments: