Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What the . . . ?



'Twilight' redefines the meaning of 'chick flick', AP via Yahoo! News.

Someone needs to remind me of the original meaning, because I thought this movie was about some dude agonizing over being a vampire. Does "chick flick" [that phrase makes me want to vomit] now mean "any movie featuring a woman in a speaking role"?


Merriam-Webster's online dictionary defines chick flick as "a motion picture intended to appeal especially to women." But "Twilight" is no lightweight date movie — instead, it's a real-girl's chick flick, where a normal-looking teenager finds romance with a modern (if undead) Prince Charming.

"It's the most insanely romantic film since ' The Notebook ,'" said Harry Medved, a spokesman for Fandango.com, who described Pattinson's Edward Cullen as "the ideal boyfriend. ... He's incredibly strong, superfast, impossibly handsome, he plays the piano and all he cares about is what's on her mind."


So much to unpack, so little time. Main point: I am tired of so-called journalists expressing shock at the fact that women go to movies, and subsequently categorizing any movie that women watch with a condescending label. Also, regarding "some of the top-grossing chick flicks in recent years", what part of High School Musical 3 translated to any definition of "chick flick" [retching]? It was a movie with actors in their 20s playing kids in high school, that was watched by kids in elementary school.

.

7 comments:

molecularshyness said...

HSM is not a "chick flick" - it's a teenybopper movie.

And the whole Twilight premise doesn't do it for me - it seems like a poor amalgam of other stories, with the "ooh, make the guy a vampire - that'll be your twist" kind of angle.

Hope Madtv or SNL does a skit with Buffy meets Twilight - that I'd like to see.

Stephanie said...

Twilight is technically a young adult (or teeny bopper) flick too since it's teens being played by 20 somethings.

Peter said...

Twilight is a heck of a lost worse than they made it out to be. I'm not even talking about how sucky they made vampires (Near Dark is still a classic, and John Carpenter's Vampires will always have a special place in my heart).

I find this especially bad because it elevates an obssessive stalker, who is stalking a minor by the way, into some sort of romantic lead. And somehow, this is an acceptable type of wish fulfillment. I guess being hot covers a multitude of sins.

More disturbing because there are so many young girls, and moms, that seem to have no problem with this.

It also gets much much worse in the sequels, which will probably get adapted. The first sequel's already been greenlit.

Bianca Reagan said...

I guess being hot covers a multitude of sins.

That's what I like to tell myself during an extensive night of sinning.

Peter said...

Oh yeah, the male lead sparkles. I don't mean that metaphorically. I mean seriously. He sparkles. Literally.

And, molecularshyness, apparently Twilight was loosely based on Pride and Prejudice. The sequels were based on varying sources from Romeo and Juliet to Wuthering Heights.

It is, presumably, for teenagers. And I really hope that teenagers aren't actually seeing this as any type of model to aspire to.

And Bianca, TMI.

Bianca Reagan said...

Peter, what would my writing be without TMI?

Here are some more reactions to Twilight: Yes, another Twilight post.

"What is most troubling is that S. Meyer is playing on the insecurities of young women through Bella’s character. The solution to your insecurities, she implies (shoves down their throats, rather) is to become so obsessed with your overbearing boyfriend that you would DIE DIE DIE without him-as Bella says over and over; you would jump from a cliff to hear his voice in your head after he’s left you; let him dissuade you from discovering your sexuality since you are a teenage girl and therefore a slut if you do the nasty pre-marriage; fall in love with the friend who sexually assaults you; have a baby that will kill you since you will be able to –I shit you not- telepathically hear the two-week fetus’ thoughts , and guess what? It already loves mommy and daddy. In fact, the only choice Bella makes is to keep the baby."

No wonder I never read the books.

molecularshyness said...

Re: that last comment about the book and the freaky things the author makes that girl do...

EW. Ew, ew, ew, yuck, gross, EW!

To think - I thought about reading these, just to see what the hype was all about. SO not cool.

Being loosely based on Pride and Prejudice [which I LOVE, at least in it's current movie form] actually ticks me off. There's no need. And I can't imagine it being a flattering send-up of Austen. [Although, I enjoyed Clueless an awful lot more than Emma.]