Saturday, December 13, 2008

Almost worse than Twilight



How does Anne Hathaway go from helping break barriers in Brokeback Mountain, to reinforcing stereotypes in Bride Wars?

bt-dubs, I started reading Twilight, and the experience has not been a good one. The pattern of physical and psychological abuse starts early for Bella and Edward.

An excerpt:

"What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?" [Edward] smiled playfully, but his eyes were impenetrable.

"Oh," I said, as several things he'd hinted fell suddenly into place. "I see."

"Do you?" His face was abruptly severe, as if he were afraid that he'd accidentally said too much.

"You're dangerous?" I guessed, my pulse quickening as I intuitively realized the truth of my own words. He was dangerous. He'd been trying to tell me that all along.

He just looked at me, eyes full of some emotion I couldn't comprehend.

"But not bad," I whispered, shaking my head. "No, I don't believe that you're bad."

"You're wrong." [. . .]


Umm . . .


[. . .] We were near the parking lot now. I veered left, toward my truck. Something caught my jacket, yanking me back.

"Where do you think you're going?" [Edward] asked, outraged. He was griping a fistful of my jacket in one hand.

I was confused. "I'm going home."

"Didn't you hear me promise to take you safely home? Do you think I'm going to let you drive in your condition?" His voice was still indignant.

"What condition? And what about my truck?" I complained.

"I'll have Alice drop it off after school." He was towing me toward his car now, pulling me by my jacket. It was all I could do to keep form falling backward. He'd probably just drag me along anyway if I did.


Oh, it continues.


"Let go!" I insisted. He ignored me. I staggered along sideway across the wet sidewalk until we reached the Volvo. Then he finally freed me -- I stumbled against the pasenger door.

"You are so pushy!" I grumbled.

"It's open," was all he responded. He got in the driver's side.

"I am perfectly capable of driving myself home!" I stood by the car, fuming. It was raining harder now, and I'd never put my hood up, so my hair was dripping down my back.

He lowered the automatic window and leaned toward me across the seat. "Get in, Bella."

I didn't answer. I was mentally calculating my chances of reaching the truck before he could catch me. I had to admit, they weren't good.

"I'll just drag you back," he threatened, guessing my plan.

I tried to maintain what dignity I could as I got into his car. I wasn't very successful -- I looked like a half-drowned cat and my boots squeaked.


This is in Chapter 5. I haven't gotten halfway through the book yet, and already the main character is being dragged across a parking lot by the twisted, emotionally-manipulative vampire that she is inexplicably in love with.

Readers, if your love interest tells you that he is "the bad guy", believe him. Then run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

.

4 comments:

molecularshyness said...

This is why I haven't [and won't] read the book[s]. Everything I've seen describing the story effectively communicates the flatness of her character, falling for a pale, controlling dude because he's cute.

Peter said...

I think you're being too hard. It's not like Edward removes the engine from Bella's car to prevent her from seeing a friend. That would just be insane.

Oh wait, that happens in the third book.

Bianca Reagan said...

Ha, Peter's funny! Have you read all of the books? Are you a Buffy fan, too?

Peter said...

I haven't read the books. But, there's a lot of stuff out there ripping on them. It's fun to read.

I'm not so much a Buffy fan, but I did catch all the FX reruns when I was in college. I do think that Joss Whedon is overrated though.