Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Girls of Rock and Roll



I spent some of my weekend watching Girls Rock!, which was great. It only took me a year to finally watch it. Readers, you should watch Girls Rock!, too. It is available for rental and for purchase. So get on that.

One of the funniest parts of the movie is during the closing credits. Laura, one of the main girls featured, is talking about her experience. She was adopted from Korea by white parents in Oklahoma, which I've heard is the San Francisco of the Midwest. Oh, it's not. Oh. I thought it was bad enough growing up in St. Thomas trying to explain to other people my concerted fixation on Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood. I think it would be much harder to be the only Asian girl in your town who is into death metal.

Anyhoodle, here is what happened while Laura was talking to the camera:

Laura: If I'm ever, like, in a position where I can help other Asian women especially feel comfortable about themselves. We're different, but it doesn't mean it's bad.

Guy behind the camera: What if we told you that the more you were in this movie, the more it might help Asian girls to feel better about themselves?

Laura: What if I told you that we should, like, have a dramatic reenactment?

Guy: But then a dramatic reenactment would be against the whole point, 'cause isn't the whole point to show Asian girls, "You should be comfortable with yourself"? So why should we have somebody else play you? [He laughs.] Isn't that kinda against the whole reasoning that you're saying?

Laura: Here comes the white man holding me down again.

Guy: [laughs some more]

Laura: Since I was shipped to America to build a railroad, I've been experiencing this, and I don't have to take it.


Hee! That would so be me on camera, worrying that I wouldn't fly in Peoria.

.

1 comment:

molecularshyness said...

ok - I'm LOVING that clip. Haven't seen it in years, but was just talking to a friend of mine about it, not too long ago. We thought we were the only people who remember that movie. [And I always thought it was cool that one of the Chipettes has my name]