Sunday, June 14, 2009

I don't have a subscription,



and I don't swoon at Alec Baldwin. But I do like what the star of My Life in Ruins has to say about Hollywood.

What’s the big fat deal?, by Nia Vardalos, Anderson Cooper 360 via IMDb.


It’s just weight. Just 40 pounds of fat now gone from my body, but wow, it’s pretty much all I get asked about. In the last year, I got to star in a movie, wrote and directed my next one, and adopted a three year old from American Foster Care. But guess what I’m asked…how did I lose the weight?

I am embarrassed to be in the position of answering questions about my body again. On the publicity tour of ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding’ I was asked over and over again, if, as the writer, I felt it was a fair depiction of real life to have someone of my er, below average looks, hook up with hottie John Corbett.


It’s been years, and I have sat through many a movie like Sideways, where nobody blinks an eye when Paul Giamatti gets together with gorgeous Virginia Madsen. And, then ‘Knocked Up’….well, the visual of Seth Rogen on top of Katherine Heigl made me put the popcorn down and reach for my purse. Not because I was grossed out but because I knew the film was about to stop and Ashton Kutcher would now jump out and go “aha, you’ve been punked, that would never happen.” I waited. But no Ashton. The film went on. And many a reviewer, who probably look like sweet Seth (yes even the women) gave it a thumbs up. [ . . . ]



Furthermore, I apparently will be seeing every Fox Searchlight movie out this summer. You're welcome, Rupert Murdoch. Also, that's a whole bunch of white, brown haired people in love. (Click on the links.) I guess it's the brown hair that makes the films "indie." And yes, I'm still going to see them.

.

1 comment:

molecularshyness said...

seriously. brown haired white people = indie.