Sunday, July 12, 2009

When they show you who they are,


believe them:

Bullying Behind GOP "Racist" Win, by John Avlon, The Daily Beast.

Young Republican Leader Audra Shay Is Crazy, Illiterate, Racist, by Pareene, Gawker.

The New Ice Age of the Young Republicans, by Michael Rowe, The Huffington Post.


The election of 38-year old Audra Shay of Louisiana to the chairmanship of the Young Republican National Federation on Saturday in Indianapolis might have gone practically unnoticed, had it not been for revelations by John Avlon, writing in The Daily Beast, that Shay had tacitly endorsed a virulently racist post about U.S. President Barack Obama on her Facebook page.


In response to one of her Facebook friends, Eric S. Piker asserting


"Obama Bin Lauden [sic] is the new terrorist...Muslim is on there [side]...need to take this country back from all these mad coons...and illegals,"

Shay posted back,

"You tell em Eric! lol."


When two of her other friends--including Sean L. Conner, chairman of the D.C. Young Republicans--complained about the racist language on Shay's Facebook thread, Shay responded, not by unfriending the author of the "mad coon" comment, but by unfriending the two who complained. [ . . . ]



That looks bad. But it gets better:

Audra Shay Responds to Race Allegations
, by Gary Coats, The Conservationist. Emphases mine.


Dear Friends and Supporters,

Yesterday on Facebook, an unfortunate incident occurred. An individual posted two comments on my Facebook wall, the first comment arguing against big government and the second filled with racially charged comments. I responded supporting the individual’s first post, to continue the fight against big government spending. I was not aware of the racial comments until sometime later, when a third individual brought it to my attention. I immediately deleted the derogatory and outright disgusting comments and subsequently posted a statement on my Facebook Status stating that in no way, shape or form are the comments posted by other individuals a reflection of me or my beliefs as an American, a Veteran, a Mother or a Candidate. I do not, nor would I ever, condone that type of language or behavior.

Unfortunately, my opponents have now spun a web of misconception and untruths, desperately trying to paint me as a racist. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, I have made it part of my Young Republican life to ensure that we did not just focus on outreach, but inclusion. Under my leadership as Chairman of the State of Louisiana’s Young Republicans, we were able to raise $90,000 for a minority outreach media campaign. Also under my leadership as Louisiana Chairman we brought the largest minority delegation to the YRNF Convention in 2007. [ . . . ]


See! Ms. Shay is not a racist. She is "an American, a Veteran" and "a Mother." She raised money for nameless minorities that one time, and she brought them to a convention. Case closed.

.

No comments: