Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Why I don't have kids yet



(Yes, Bratz - Babyz: The Movie is enough to make anyone sterile. But the video above was merely an afterthought.)

Women delay having kids because of care costs, by Jessica on Feministing.

A new poll says that one in five women are deciding against having children--or delaying having one--because of the high cost of child care and preschool. The poll, which was commissioned by an anti-crime organization, recommends increased funding and support for quality child care and preschool programs like Head Start...


Or maybe this is why: Black Love is Dead, from The Message on YouTube, via Racialicious.




Nope, it's mostly the first reason. I would have a kid now--meaning after I finished business school--if I had the money to raise it properly. I barely make enough now to house myself. :(

5 comments:

TV Fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I don't have 'em 'cause I just don't want 'em. But every time I hear stories like the one about the toy recall or that people are paying out the nose just for daycare, I thank my lucky hormones that I never had those maternal feelings.

Bianca Reagan said...

stephanie, my mother is taking my future kids for summer vacation. Three months in St. Thomas will be good for them. And great for me. :)

cubical, it's okay not to want kids. There is a child-free population for you, and it's growing both in numbers and in acceptance from the larger society.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know it. :) I'm in a childfree comm on LiveJournal and I hang out with my local No Kidding chapter (a social club for childfree people).

Um...does your mom want to take me for summer vacation? I can do three months in St. Thomas...

Bianca Reagan said...

cubical, I was half kidding about the child free thing. Now I know someone who is actually a part of it. Cool!