Thursday, March 06, 2008

Wondering if sexism still exists in the entertainment industry?


Well, someone had to greenlight these movies:

No Country for Fat Chicks, by Amy Monaghan at Radar Online, via Feministing.

Calling pretty much any Hollywood movie "a little sexist" (as Katherine Heigl did when Vanity Fair asked her about her star-making turn in last summer's Knocked Up) is like saying you're a little bit pregnant. The difference is one of degree, not kind.

Now that the Oscars are over and our first viable female presidential is floundering toward failure, it seems like a good time to take stock of sexism in our culture. That's why Radar, using Knocked Up as a mildly chauvinistic baseline, and employing the highly scientific method of surveying our girlfriends, set out to uncover the most misogynistic movies of the 21st century. (Excluded were intentionally offensive movies and any grindhouse film where coeds ended up in a woodchipper, etc.)

It's a crowded field, and getting more so daily (we're looking at you, Teeth), but here's our year-by-year timeline of the most woman-bashing films of the Oughts. So far.


My favorite one is listed first. Enjoy!

.

6 comments:

Mommychicky said...

I just saw Super Bad over the weekend... I guess it didn't bother me because I'm young enough to remember crushing on boys just like that...

gfonseca said...

I definitely agree that there is a ridiculous level of sexism these days in movies and tv. I blame the writer's for a lot of it. All these male writers seem to have no idea how to write good, strong female characters -- especially in television. They are constantly represented as fickle, insecure, whimsical characters who can't make up their mind when it comes to their love life. I find it insulting and I'm not even a woman. (Although I also find the stereotypical characters in Sex And The City a bit insulting whereas most women find them empowering, so go figure).

However, I enjoyed Teeth and didn't find it to be "women bashing" at all. It took a poignant, albeit silly, jab at abstinence, but I found it relatively harmless in regards to sexism.

Bianca Reagan said...

mommychicky, I hope your crushes leaned more towards Michael Cera than Jonah Hill.

g, I find the characters in Sex and the City entertaining. But not empowering overall. I'm proud to be a Miranda, though I strive to be a Samantha. I have known women like Charlotte, and I have to restrain myself from assaulting them with my radical feminist views, because really? "I choose my choice"? I don't think so. And Carrie needs serious professional help. Aiden did not need to get involved with her masochistic tendencies.

I haven't seen Teeth. I've only read about it on Feministing.

angryyoungwoman said...

The writers aren't the only problem--the culture of Hollywood (the entertainment culture overall)feeds us this genderized tripe that says "if you're a woman you can only be happy and fulfilled in a relationship with a man and a house in the suburbs. If you are successful in a career, you are a bitch, and will never find love. If you choose not to have relationships with men, you will be overcome with longing for them because you need to be accepted and loved by a man. Otherwise, you are not a real woman." Hollywood can suck on my girlballs.
I never saw Teeth, but I heard mixed reviews. Some women said it was empowering because she teaches men their lessons. I also heard it could be really triggering for victims of sexual violence. I may or may not see it.

Pizza Diavola said...

Yay! More calling out Superbad for the garbage it was!

Bianca Reagan said...

Strong feelings, ayw and pd!