Friday, February 19, 2010

The back pocket girl



"Are their standards too high? Or are the pickings too slim?" via ELEV8.

First of all, watch the video. Meanwhile, I will look for a transcript, or summarize the important parts.

Second, Mr. Steve Harvey: how many black women--or people in general--are corporate executives making $150,000, and then demanding that their partner make more than that? I would love to make $150,000. That is the end of that sentence. I must have missed out on the growing problem of black women running corporations and making six-figure salaries. I need to become a part of that problem. I might be alone, but I'd have some money.

~


"[Steve Harvey's] advice [for these women]? Go for the older man."

No. Not everyone wants to date a 53-year-old Steve Harvey. I don't think that is a compromise that group of women in their late 20s and early 30s want to, or should have to, make.

.

4 comments:

HN said...

who invited steve harvey? did i miss the moment he became THE expert on black women and relationships..(act like a lady think like a man??!? really? thats the name of your book?)

the point the sister makes about her encounter with the white man is so true, as well as the point about not being "as coveted"

lol back pocket girl, great phrase

i hope the narration in the end "are they asking too much?" is sarcasm, it came right after the clip where the women said they wanted "honesty, supportive, financially stable, being at a certain stage in their life"...

hmph go older my ass, never settle for less

Nancy Green said...

I've never known anyone to find money unattractive. I'd rather take my chances as a rich woman than a poor one.

Bianca Reagan said...

HN, apparently ABC News invited him because he has a bestselling book, not because he necessarily has relevant advice.

Nancy, I'd rather be rich than poor, too.

molecularshyness said...

I must have missed out on the growing problem of black women running corporations and making six-figure salaries. I need to become a part of that problem.

You and me both, sister. I'll take that problem. And Steve? It's like he's the radio/book version of the TP movies, telling black women to settle - er - I mean, go for the old/poor/less whatever guy. I'm over that.