Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Pink Elephants"



Six chapters completed in the sequel to to Steve the Penguin! The title of the second novel is now under construction as well. An excerpt from Ch. 12:


“Is your necklace new? You weren’t wearing it at the taping.”

This guy remembered what I did or did not have on my neck a day ago?

“It’s not new.”

His fingers slid across my collarbone as he touched the gold pendant. “Why an angel?

“Because of . . .”

“Winn-Dixie?”

“Oprah,” I sputtered. “The angels.”

He lifted the pendant with his index finger. “The angels?”

“On one of Oprah’s shows, she said she could never find any black angels. Then her fans sent hundreds of black angel statuettes to her studio.”

“I would have sent her a picture of you.”

“Laying it on thick, aren’t we?”

“Me?” He placed the warm angel back on my skin. “Never.”

“I don’t know why I’m telling you this Oprah story. It’s the first thing that popped into my head. But for reals, I like angels because they are flying people.” That was enough about me. “What about your neck?”

“What about my neck?”

“What is the deal with the constant whimsy on your ties? Yesterday it was the shamrocks. Today it’s dancing elephants.” I tugged on the black strip of silk. “Why are they pink?”

“Short answer: they match my shirt.”

“Long answer?”

He breathed in my ear with more heat than actual sound. “I like being unpredictable. I’m full of surprises.”

Dude was full of something. “How could you possibly continue to surprise me?”

He popped a chicken nugget in his mouth. “If I told you, then it wouldn’t be a surprise.”


.

No comments: