Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Lost in Translation


For the past week, I have been trying to set up my old printer with my new computer. It has been such a trial, involving phone calls and emails back and forth. But today, after 40 minutes of trial and error with customer representative Rob, my printer finally works with my new computer. Hooray!

At the end of the call, when Rob asked if I had anymore questions, I told him I had one. Since he pronounced his Hs "hey-ch", like Anne Heche, was he from Canada? He said yes, he's from Nova Scotia. But then I worried that he thought I was making fun of him, like the Road Rules Down Under people did to their Canadian roommate who said "a-boot." I was trying to be nice and friendly since he had been so helpful. But sometimes my quirkiness and whimsy can be misunderstood, even by other people who share my nationality. :(

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love on Degrassi when they say aboot and sore-rie.

Bianca Reagan said...

I like when Craig and Spinner talk about all the "dra-ma", making it rhyme with "grandma" and "pajama". Though afro-twin Danny concerned me when he referred to the good-looking girls at his school as hot "mammies." Oy vey, Canadians.