Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Musings from a Black Woman: Tennis Etiquette edition


This is the headline that greeted me this evening on Yahoo!: Serena 'classless' and 'graceless' in loss.

The American media turned on Serena Williams on Wednesday, labelling the former world number one as "classless" and "graceless" after her sullen reaction to her U.S. Open exit at the hands of Justine Henin.


Huh?

"I just think she made a lot of lucky shots and I made a lot of errors," Williams said at her news conference. "I really don't feel like talking about it. It's like I don't want to get fined. That's the only reason I came. I can't afford to pay the fines because I keep losing." Players who fail to appear for post-match news conferences face fines from tennis officials.


How does "I really don't feel like talking about it" equal "classless" or "graceless"? What was she supposed to say? "I love losing. It's great to give other people a chance to win."

I am so tired of this nonsense. To give you some perspective on the source of my frustration, I give you this clip of a non-female, non-colored athlete infamous for his history of tirades:



Maybe that was a show of youthful exuberance, you say? I give you this clip, entitled John McEnroe throwing a tantrum at age 48:



I don't recall anyone in the American media ever suggesting that Mr. McEnroe could "use charm school."

I'm all irritated now. I hate being held to some double standard squared as a black woman being punished for knowing how awesome she is. I need some HSM2 therapy:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually (and it could be because I'm quite a bit older than you, so was more "around" when it was all happening in his day), MacEnroe regularly had THE TAR taken out of him by the media. Lambasted. Infamous for his behavior, to the point that it blotted out his achievements on the court. A running joke--late-nite fodder, the whole bit. "Infantile" and "poor sportsman" and "lack of class" were the refrains. The lingo was in fact quite similar to what's being thrown at Williams. Only worse, more sustained, and crueller. Then again, his acting up was a lot more overt and ridiculous, so...makes sense.

We'll see what time/behavior wreaks on the Williams situation.

amy said...

My problem with Serena (whom I love, really) is that she can never say the other person was just better. She doesn't have to say the person is ALWAYS better, but really, would it kill her to say Henin played well that day? It's always, "she made lucky shots" and "I sucked." Sometimes you just get outplayed, and if she would just say that, I'd have a lot more respect for her.

Bianca Reagan said...

Good point, anonymous. And welcome! When John was playing Bjorn Borg at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, I was being conceived and born. (Or bjorn. Hee!) So I wasn't conscious for much of his career.

Welcome to you, too, Amy! You make good points as well.

How did you each find my blog?

nobody said...

Like Amy sort of said, Serena is being called classless because she said that Henin got "lucky", which she has done before. It's not because she didn't want to talk to reporters, although that didn't help since they're the ones writing about her.

Saying your opponent got lucky is weak.

Amy said...

How does "I really don't feel like talking about it" equal "classless" or "graceless"? What was she supposed to say? "I love losing. It's great to give other people a chance to win."

Rilly. Actually, that is EXACTLY what we are supposed to say--I'm thinking of the little white ice skaters and gymnasts here. Even when we win, white middle-class women are taught to downplay achievements, and that's the standard women're held to, even if we're poor or of color etc. etc. and have learned to stick up for ourselves. Of course Serena was supposed to mouth some dishwater milquetoast like, "Oh, she played a great game, she's a really great player, I really respect her so much."

Pah. I don't ever watch tennis, so I don't know if Amy above has the right take on Serena's customary attitude, but I just love the image of strength, athleticism and capability that Serena and Venus both have radiated in their media appearances, and I think it's cool that Serena said she didn't feel like talking about it. I wish more people would be that honest.

TV Fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bianca Reagan said...

Thanks for the comment, irwin! I didn't know you still read my blog, but I'm psyched that you do.

amy, this situation has reminded me of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, both the book and the Lifetime (Original?) Movie, before Courtney Peldon was best known for being a Fug Girl or JTT's girlfriend on Home Improvement. Also, really Nick at Nite?

stephanie, the question we really need to ask is, you watched Hair Show? I saw ten minutes of it on cable, and I changed the channel.

TV Fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bianca Reagan said...

Lane from Gilmore Girls needs more work. Someone hire that woman!