Friday, June 08, 2007

Why I don't say, "I'm sorry"


unless I really have to:

Living While Female, by Ann, at Feministing.

above and beyond all this, by kate, at a cat and twenty.

Let's Watch A Girl Get Beaten To Death, by Joss Whedon (yes, that Joss Whedon), at Whedonesque.

And, if you haven't heard any mainstream media coverage about this heinous situation, let's read about it together, shall we:

The De Anza case: men really hate drunk teenage girls, at I Blame The Patriarchy.

I remember when I was in college--which was like so long ago, I know--my mother was worried about my being a part of the LGBT awareness group on campus. She thought other people would harbor animosity towards me for associating with the gays. I told her then, and I still tell her now, people already hate me for no reason at all. There are people I know for a fact have despised me in the past and will continue to do so in the future because I'm too smart, or too dark, or too fat, or not fat enough, or too funny, or too creative, or too kind, or too patient, or too caring, or too progressive, or too concerned, or too peaceful, or too fortunate, or too demanding, or too driven, or too critical, or too informed. Or because I have a vagina.

Slightly more humorous post to follow in a moment.

No comments: