Wednesday, August 23, 2006

When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts

I haven't finished watching all of Spike Lee's documentary about Hurricane Katrina's affect on New Orleans yet. It's 4 and 1/2 hours long, and I have a job, people! What I have seen, though, in my Mummy's words, was heartwrenching. I kept screaming at the tv because I have been through hurricanes, albeit ones under the previous administration, and I have always known the situation during Hurricane Katrina, and Hurricane Rita as well, could have been handled without the egregious incompetence and subsequent widescale suffering. I have seen firsthand how well the Federal Emergency Management Agency can work when it is run by able, informed, caring people. When it's run by a former commissioner for the International Arabian Horse Association and the drug-addled alcoholic C-student who appointed him to the position...well, you all saw what happened.

Today I have been telling almost everyone I encounter in person or by phone about this epic tragedy playing on HBO this month. Half the people I talked to don't get HBO, so I will be recording it again so they can watch it, too. The other people already have it TiVoed, so I guess I'll be talking with them about it more extensively later.

If you four or five people who have happened upon my blog have not seen When the Levees Broke yet, what's holding you back? If any of you shelled out 10 bucks to see United 93 or World Trade Center, but haven't seen this yet, I'm putting you on notice. If you have made the difficult decision to watch this documentary in its entirety, bravo and brava to you. Tell your friends!

No comments: